2021 YMIC Metropolitan Gospel Music Festival
Before submitting an application form, please read the full festival guidelines below and make sure that all video-recording rules are followed(video title, publish setting, etc.). Failure to do so will result in an ineligible application submission.
COVID-19 related information
- When preparing for the festival, particularly when it involves more than two persons in one space, please make sure to take actions in accordance with all county and state COVID-19 guidelines. All CDC recommendations such as social distancing and wearing of masks should be followed.
- In the case that participants will be wearing masks in their video recording, a photo of the participant with the name listed must be sent to our email prior to the application deadline.
- For additional safety and protection measures, we recommend face shields and/or acrylic or glass barriers especially for students who may be unable to wear a mask for their performance. (i.e. Wind/Brass chamber)
- We also recommend utilizing SmartMusic for accompaniment and Zoom for whenever it may be difficult to have a group gathered in one location.
- YMIC Competitions/Festivals is not responsible for any COVID-19 related incidents that may arise during the students’ preparations for the festival.
ONLINE APPLICATION INFORMATION
● Deadline: Monday, December 6, 2021
● (1) Complete online application; (2) Provide a YouTube link of *video recording; (3) Pay application fee through PayPal.
● Participants may apply to both classical and gospel festivals but will need to apply separately.
● Best performer winners of the 2020 National Gospel Music Competition and/or students of this year’s judges may not participate.
● In the event of a high volume of applications, participants will be organized to compete in groups.
● Solo (Piano, String, Wind/Brass, Voice) application and processing fee: $40 (non-refundable)
● Chamber application and processing fee: $30 per applicant (non-refundable)
○ All chamber fees must be submitted together.
REPERTOIRE and REQUIREMENT:
● For chamber category, the age division of the ensemble will be determined by the average grade of the ensemble's participants.
● Any piece related to hymn/gospel/praise music style
● One piece must be prepared and recorded in its entirety. Please see below for time limit information.
● Piano / Voice will require memorization. For all other instruments, memorization is recommended but not required.
● YouTube Video Naming Rules:”
- Title: Metropolitan Classical Music Festival 2021 – Instrument, Full Title of piece, Movement, Full Composer Name
- Description box: Grade, date/year of recording (this information should NOT be in the title)
- The participant's name should NOT appear anywhere on the YouTube video, including channel name.
- If the information for the title does not all fit due to character limit, please include the remainder of the title in the description box.
Example of Correct Video Title: Metropolitan Gospel Music Festival 2021 - Piano, Sonatina op.55 No.1, 1st mvt, Friedrich Kuhlau
Example of Incorrect Video Title: Jane Doe - Piano, Kuhlau, Sonatina op.55, No.1
● Videos must be taken horizontally.
● Save/publish the video’s visibility to UNLISTED.
● Videos will not be accepted if they are not titled/described accordingly.
● The video being submitted may be made anytime during 2021; however, the participant must be in the same grade
division during the time of recording as they are applying for the festival.
● Participants’ face, hands, feet with pedals as well as keyboard/instrument, must be visible for the entirety of the video.
● Piano and String will require memorization. For all other instruments, memorization is recommended but not required.
● Video recording MUST be a one-take; editing, such as cutting and merging multiple takes, is prohibited.
● Formal and appropriate attire must be worn, otherwise the video will not be accepted.
● Piano accompaniment is required for all pieces that have an existing accompanying part.
● The applicant must prepare the movement or piece in its entirety. We recommend uploading a full performance that falls within the assigned time limit; however, if the video time length is longer than the designated time limit, judges reserve the right to listen to different sections of the piece. Participants may not upload an incomplete movement/piece
● Solo Competition
○ Piano, Strings, Wind/Brass, Voice
● Chamber Competition*
○ Piano Chamber (one piano/four hands)
○ Any combination of Piano/Strings/Winds/Voice (duo to quartet)
* TRADITIONAL CATEGORY
Every member of the group performs together in the same physical location
Group members create a virtual performance video by using music sharing platforms such as Acapella, Filpgrid, BandLab, etc.
CATEGORY DIVISIONS (by grade)
● Piano, Strings, Voice: Grades 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12
● Winds/Brass: Grades 4-6, 7-9, 10-12
● Piano Chamber – Grades 1-4, 5-8, 9-12
● Other Chamber (any combination) – Grades 1-4, 5-8, 9-12
● Results will be announced Thursday, December 23, 2021. Judge decisions are final, no exceptions.
● 1st, 2nd, 3rd place and Honorable Mention will be awarded.
● Certificates and awards will be mailed to the teacher's address listed on the application form. YMIC is not responsible for any certificates that get lost in the mail due to incorrect address information or transit issues and will not send an additional copy. However, we can email a PDF version of the participant's certificate. Please ensure that the teacher's address is accurate and up-to-date, as there will be no follow-up confirmation.
● Comment sheets will be emailed to the teacher's email address.
● $100 Cash Award: Up to 10 Best Performers in the Classical Festival and up to 3 Best Performers in the Gospel Festival.
*** If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org