2022 YMIC Metropolitan Gospel Music Festival
Before submitting an application form, please read the full festival guidelines below. Failure to do so will result in an ineligible application submission.
COVID-19 related information
- During the festival, all participants must wear a mask.
- YMIC Competitions/Festivals is NOT responsible for any COVID-19 related incidents that may arise during the festival.
LIVE (IN-PERSON) FESTIVAL DATE
Sunday, December 18, 2022
Calvary Lutheran Church (9545 Georgia Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20910)
LIVE (IN-PERSON) APPLICATION INFORMATION
● Deadline: Sunday, November 27, 2022
● (1) Complete online application, (2) Read *General Guidelines below, and (3) Pay application fee through PayPal.
● Participants may apply to both classical and gospel festivals, but will need to apply separately.
● Best performer winners of the 2021 Metropolitan Music Festival and/or students of this year’s judges may not participate.
● Best performer winners of the 2021 Metropolitan Music Festival are not allowed to participate in the same Category and Division as students participated in the 2021 Metropolitan Music Festival.
● In the event of a high volume of applications, participants will be organized to compete in groups.
● The Metropolitan Festival is a national level competition.
● $100 Cash Award: Up to 3 Best Performers in the Gospel Festival.
Solo (Piano, String, Wind/Brass) application and processing fee: $45 (non-refundable)
Chamber application and processing fee: $35 per applicant (non-refundable)
○ All chamber fees must be submitted together.
Confirmation emails will be automatically sent to the parent's email address once the application is submitted. If it does not appear in your inbox, we advise to double check whether it went into your junk or spam box.
● Results will be announced Monday, December 19, 2022. Judge decisions are final, no exceptions.
● 1st, 2nd, 3rd place, and Honorable Mention will be awarded.
● Certificates and comments sheets will be emailed to the participant’s and the teacher’s email address. Awards will be mailed to the teacher's address listed on the application form. YMIC is not responsible for any awards that get lost in the mail due to incorrect address information or transit issues and will not send an additional copy. Please ensure that the teacher's address is accurate and up-to-date, as there will be no follow-up confirmation.
YMIC supports the use of published musical scores. One (1) original (no photocopy) score/solo part (with measures numbered) should be provided for the judges. Entrants using PDFs downloaded from the internet must attach the receipt of the music purchase to the cover page of the downloaded music. Please bring it on the day of the festival and show it to the YMIC staff member before the participant’s festival time. Failure to do so may result in disqualification.
Each movement or piece must be prepared in its entirety. The judge reserves the right to stop the contestant and listen to different sections of the pieces.
This is a "closed" festival, meaning there will be no audience in the festival room. Only the contestants and accompanists will be permitted to go into the room where the festival is held. Parents and teachers are asked to stay in the waiting area.
It is the responsibility of each string, and wind/brass applicant to provide his/her own accompanist; accompanists are required for pieces with piano accompaniment. If requested, YMIC could provide a list of possible accompanists; arrangements must be made at the applicant's own expense.
Notifications of confirmation and time assignment will be emailed to each applicant 10 days before the festival date.
The festival is unable to honor requests for changes in festival times. No exceptions will be made. If a participant is not available during the entire festival day (December, 18th, 2022), we highly recommend applying for the ONLINE Metropolitan Gospel Festival.
No changes in the repertoire can be made after the application has been submitted. No exceptions will be made.
There will be no warm-up rooms.
Participants are expected to dress in a formal manner appropriate for the competition setting.
Teachers have no work assignments for the day of the festival.
● Solo Competition
○ Piano, Strings, and Wind/Brass
● Chamber Competition
○ Piano Chamber (one piano/four hands)
○ Any combination of Piano/Strings/Winds (duo to quartet)
CATEGORY DIVISIONS (by grade)
● Piano and Strings: Grades 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12
● Winds/Brass: Grades 4-6, 7-9, 10-12
● Piano Chamber – Grades 1-4, 5-8, 9-12
● Other Chamber (any combination) – Grades 1-4, 5-8, 9-12
REPERTOIRE and REQUIREMENT
For chamber category, the age division of the ensemble will be determined by the average grade of the ensemble's participants.
Any piece related to hymn/gospel/praise music style.
The time limit for all Gospel participants is 5 minutes.
One piece must be performed in its entirety.
Piano and String will require memorization. For all other instruments, memorization is recommended but not required.
*** If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com